- Please enter the url of a 1 minute unlisted (not private) YouTube video introducing the founder(s).
- Who writes code, or does other technical work on your product? Was any of it done by a non-founder?
- How long have the founders known one another and how did you meet? Have any of the founders not met in person?
- Please tell us about an interesting project, preferably outside of class or work, that two or more of you created together.
- Please tell us in one or two sentences about something impressive that each founder has built or achieved.
- Please tell us about the time you most successfully hacked some (non-computer) system to your advantage.
- How far along are you?
- How long have each of you been working on this? How much of that has been full-time?
- When will you have a prototype or beta?
- How many active users or customers do you have? How many are paying? Who is paying you the most, and how much do they pay you?
- We're interested in your revenue over the last several months. (Not cumulative and not GMV).
- Anything else you would like us to know regarding your revenue or growth rate?
- If you are applying with the same idea as a previous batch, did anything change? If you applied with a different idea, why did you pivot and what did you learn from the last idea?
- If you have already participated or committed to participate in an incubator, "accelerator" or "pre-accelerator" program, please tell us about it.
- Why did you pick this idea to work on? Do you have domain expertise in this area? How do you know people need what you're making?
- What's new about what you're making? What substitutes do people resort to because it doesn't exist yet (or they don't know about it)?
- Who are your competitors? What do you understand about your business that they don't?
- How do or will you make money? How much could you make?
- How do users find your product? How did you get the users you have now? If you run paid ads, what is your cost of acquisition?
- Have you formed ANY legal entity yet?
- Please list all legal entities you have and in what state or country each was formed (e.g. Delaware C Corp, Mexican SAPI, Singapore Pvt Ltd, etc.).
- Please describe the breakdown of the equity ownership in percentages among the founders, employees and any other stockholders. If there are multiple founders, be sure to give the equity ownership of each founder and founder title (e.g. CEO).
- Have you taken any investment yet?
- How much money do you spend per month?
- How much money does your company have in the bank now?
- How long is your runway?
- Is there anything else we should know about your company?
Anything else you would like us to know regarding your revenue or growth rate?
How 8 YC companies answered the "Anything else you would like us to know regarding your revenue or growth rate?" question from the YCombinator Application.
— 8 answers
All our revenue is from 3 pre-sales for lifetime use of our product. It's obviously heavily discounted but we couldn't think of a better way to validate our idea and asking for more seemed like a sure-fire way to get a "No." Additionally, 1 out of the customers who bought it in the pre-sale is a close friend of Shri's.
The august revenue is committed but not yet realized since we are still waiting for our EIN to set up our bank account and Stripe. We hope to have it all in place by the time YC sends out the interview invites.
We plan on getting to 50 very active users before launching our paid plans.
We have over [redacted] in deferred revenue which will be booked from prepaid funds going forward. We have seasonal effects (primarily due to the academic calendar). December to February are typically the slower months and we expect stronger growth in the coming months (we're projecting [redacted] in March).
our revenue is better calculated per year: 2015 - 39,000 USD 2016 - 225,000 USD 2017 - 696,000 USD 2018 - 1,151,000 USD
We're preparing to launch our beta and plan to have revenue soon.
We started the app free while in private beta. Mainly to double down on product experience and making sure we are creating value for users. We introduced billing 2 weeks ago and gave all existing users at least 30 days of free trial and 32 of them have already started paying and we expect many more once we get closer to the end of existing trials.
We were using pocket money to test the marketplace. Next month we begin to invest our pre-seed money and will start a stress test in the audience \o/